Google

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

 

Banning the mediahttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif

Things like this just don't happen in the America I know.
Via Americablog


Bob Brigham has just reported - and this is why we need OUR folks on the ground, to report this stuff - the military is banning all reporters from New Orleans. Outrageous. If you kill a couple thousand people, you definitely want to keep the media and the public from finding out.

Bush is literally trying to hide the bodies. This is beyond outrageous.

They're trying to hide the bodies. Who the hell does Bush think he is? So much for the First Amendment, so much for the Constitution, so much for a democratic government.

Hey, Democrats, time to speak up LOUDLY. This is what military regimes do, what dictatorships do, it's not what democracies do. We don't hide our dead bodies in our to spare our leaders their well-due shame.

I hope the media is all over this.

As we already know, Bush is banning the media from taking any photos of the dead. So here's a thought:

Get a media helicopter, fly in, and let them shoot you down. Do you really think the Natl Guard is going to shoot down CNN? Especially if they have a few Democratic congressmen on board? Doubt it. And are they going to arrest those Democratic congressmen for taking photos of the recovery? Doubt it.

PS And Kyle is still on his way as our correspondent - we're not gonna let some petty dictator stop us.



UPDATE


It appears that the media is finally growing enough of a spine to stand up to the bush administration.

U.S. won't ban media from New Orleans searches
CNN filed suit for right to cover search for bodies of Katrina victims

Rather than fight a lawsuit by CNN, the federal government abandoned its effort Saturday to prevent the media from reporting on the recovery of the dead in New Orleans.

Joint Task Force Katrina "has no plans to bar, impede or prevent news media from their news gathering and reporting activities in connection with the deceased Hurricane Katrina victim recovery efforts," said Col. Christian E. deGraff, representing the task force.

U.S. District Court Judge Keith Ellison issued a temporary restraining order Friday against a "zero access" policy announced earlier in the day by Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, who is overseeing the federal relief effort in the city, and Terry Ebbert, the city's homeland security director.

In explaining the ban, Ebbert said, "we don't think that's proper" to let members of the media view the bodies.

The judge was to consider granting a permanent injunction Saturday when the government announced its decision not to enforce the "zero access" policy.

Comments:
Chris, you know I'm ignorant of all things political, so I have to ask you: What are your thoughts about Rehnquist's death? Does this mean Bush gets to put two judges on the supreme court now, and what does that mean for us poor liberals?
 
I don't think it will be as bad as some people say it is. The fact that Bush is nominating a moderate like Roberts for Renquist's seat shows how politically weak the president is right now. He would much rather nomminate Scalia or Thomas but that's just not possible. The senate dems are too strong for that right now. Now that there are 2 open seats I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Oconnor decideds to not retire after all. Even if she still does Bush has no choice but to put another moderate on the Bench. It'll be fun to watch the hearings and see how this all plays out.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home